On this day in 1977, David Bowie made a guest appearance on a Bing Crosby Christmas show and recorded “Little Drummer Boy-Peace on Earth,” which was later released as a single. What was the holiday TV special titled?
Answer: Bing Crosby’s Merrie Olde Christmas
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to a couple of classic bass players today – Leo Lyons of Ten Years After and Roger Glover from Deep Purple. Also, birthday wishes go out to William Broad – aka Billy Idol.
- 1972: Wings release the single “Hi, Hi, Hi.” The song is banned by the BBC, which thought that the lyrics concerned drug use. Of course, we know Paul McCartney never touched the stuff!
- 1977: David Bowie makes a guest appearance on Bing Crosby’s television Christmas special. The odd couple sings the holiday classic “Little Drummer Boy.”
- 1979: Pink Floyd releases its classic double album The Wall.
- 1985: Bruce Springsteen puts out his immortal holiday classic “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.”
- 1996: Tiny Tim dies of heart failure onstage in Minneapolis. He was 63 years old.
- 2004: Jimmy Buffett’s book A Salty Piece of Land: Stories That are Mostly True hits the stores.