Happy birthday to Barry Goudreau, formerly of the band Boston! What band did he form just after releasing his first solo album and being booted out of Boston?
Answer: Orion the Hunter
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to John Mayall, as well as Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau.
- 1967: Dave Mason leaves the British rock band Traffic to go solo. He would later rejoin the band – twice – before his final departure.
- 1968: “Unfinished Music No. 1 – Two Virgins” by John Lennon and Yoko Ono is released – the cover sports a photo taken by John of himself and Yoko in a full frontal nude pose. EMI Records wouldn’t release the album because of the cover, so it was covered with brown paper for release.
- 1969: The Beatles single “Come Together” backed with “Something” hits #1.
- 1975: “Bohmeian Rhapsody” by Queen moves to #1 in the U.K. and stays until January of 1976 – the longest #1 stay on the U.K. charts since 1955.
- 1986: Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band Live is the first box set to enter the U.S. charts at #1. It stays there for seven weeks.
- 1992: U2’s first television special, “Zoo TV Outside Broadcast,” is aired on Fox-TV.
- 2001: George Harrison succumbs to cancer.
From the WZLX ticket stash…The Rolling Stones were at the Garden with B.B. King in 1969, in 1979 it was Santana at the Music Hall. That night, Carlos Santana’s amp caught on fire and had to be doused with fire extinguishers.