10 Things You Could Buy With The $550 Million Jackpot
The enormous Powerball lottery jackpot is up to $550 million, which even after taxes would set the winner for life. We had a little fun here at ZLX figuring out what you could buy with that kind of money, before taxes.
You could buy many different sports franchises, including the Bruins or Celtics. You could buy the most expensive car in the world – 220 of them. You could buy the most expensive house on the market in New England nine times. And there’s plenty of other stuff that you could get with this kind of a jackpot.
Here are 10 things you could buy (in many cases several times over) with the $550 million Powerball jackpot:
1. Most expensive house in Massachusetts – $59 million
The 69-acre property on Polpis Harbor in Nantucket has a main house, a two-bedroom guest cottage, a boathouse, and an octagonal office building. A sport court, a private beach, and three boat moorings accompany the five-bedroom house for entertainment.
2. World’s Fastest Car – $2.5 million
The Bugatti’s Veyron Super Sport car clocks at 268 mph. It can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 2.48 seconds and has a clean, bold exterior made entirely of carbon fiber.
3. Muhammad Ali Boxing Gloves – $1.1 million
According to Sports Illustrated, the 8th most expensive sports memorabilia is Muhammad Ali’s boxing gloves in his 1965 fight against Floyd Patterson.
4. Babe Ruth Yankees contract with Red Sox $996,000
Babe Ruth was signed over to the New York Yankees on January 6, 1920 for $100,000. Ninety-two years later, the contract is worth nine times the amount he was sold for.
5. Steven Tyler’s 1970 Aerosmith band jacket – $65,000
Only five of these jackets were made (for each band member) in the early 1970s. Each member of the band signed the jacket.
6. Red Sox cigar label $49,500
An original cigar label of the Boston Red Stockings (before they were the Red Sox) after their move from Cincinnati.
7. 1936-37 Eddie Shore sportscard $42,000
Eddie Shore, the iconic defenseman for the Boston Bruins, won the Hart Trophy as the NHL’s most valuable player four times and ranks third overall for mest defenseman behind Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe.
8. Five different NHL franchises
- Montreal Canadiens $445 million
- Detroit Red Wings $338 million
- Boston Bruins $325 million
- Chicago Blackhawks $300 million
- Vancouver Canucks $300 million
Yep, you could actually buy the Bruins if you win the $550 million jackpot. You could also buy some combination of the Ducks, Thrashers, Sabres, Hurricanes, Blue Jacks, Panthers, Predators, Devils, Islanders, Coyotes, Blues, and Lightning. But an NHL team wouldn’t exactly be the best long-term investment right now…
9. Five different MLB franchises
- San Diego Padres $400 million
- Washington Nationals $417 million
- Seattle Mariners $440 million
- Atlanta Braves $482 million
- Minnesota Twins $490 million
The Red Sox would be out of your price range, but you could take a shot at building a contender in Minnesota, Seattle or San Diego where they’ve barely ever had success.
10. Five different NBA franchises
- Golden State Warriors $450 million
- Houston Rockets $453 million
- Miami Heat $457 million
- Boston Celtics $482 million
- Dallas Mavericks $487 million
The Celtics would take up nearly your entire fortune, but you’d be the owner of one of the most successful franchises in sports history.