It’s the birthday of the late Jimi Hendrix. His dad changed his son’s name to James Marshall Hendrix when he was 3. What was it originally?
Answer: Johnny Allen Hendrix
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1942: It’s the birth date of the late Jimi Hendrix…The man still widely considered one of the greatest guitarists to ever pick up the instrument passed away in 1970 at the age of 27. Jimi would have turned 68 today.
- 1969: The Rolling Stones perform for the first of two nights at Madison Square Garden in New York. The performances are recorded and used for the album “Get Your Ya-Ya’s out.”
- 1998: Roger Daltrey of The Who hits the stage in New York as the lead character in Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.”
- 2000: Steven Tyler’s one-time Warner, N.H. home burns to the ground.
- 2003: Billboard magazine reports that the Rolling Stones’ “Licks” tour is the second highest grossing tour of all time, raking in 300 million dollars. The tour was second only to the Stones’ 1994 & ’95 “Voodoo Lounge” globe-trotting trek. Both of those tours were dwarfed by the Stones globe-trotting two-year “Bigger Bang” campaign in ’05, which became the highest-grossing tour of all time.