The Allman Brothers Band played the Boston Tea Party on this night in 1970. How many albums did they have out at that point?
Answer: The First 2
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1975: J. Geils Band played a show in Detroit, which would become part of the group’s live album Blow Your Face Out. Tracks recorded at the Boston Garden around the same time are also used.
- 1978: The Doobie Brothers play the Music Hall.
- 1979: Chuck Berry is released from a two and a half month stint in prison for income tax evasion. Berry had shortchanged the government to the tune of $200,000.
- 1984: Don Henley releases his very successful solo album, Building The Perfect Beast, in 1984.
- 1987: It was John Mellencamp at the Boston Garden.
- 1995: Part 1 of The Beatles anthology documentary miniseries aires on ABC-TV. The program features the debut of the first new Beatles song in 25 years, “Free as a Bird.” The show attracted 47 million viewers.
- 2002: Queen’s Brian May receives an honorary degree in astronomy from Hertfordshire University in England. Before joining Queen he was studying astronomy.
- 2004: Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone” is named the greatest song of all time by Rolling Stone.
- From the WZLX ticket stash…The Allman Brothers played the Boston Tea Party in 1970.