Jethro Tull played the Boston Garden on this night in 1971. It was their first time playing there. Where had they played previous to that in Boston?
Answer: Boston Tea Party
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1969: Janis Joplin is arrested after a concert in Tampa for “vulgar and indecent language.” All charges are eventually dropped.
- 1975: The J. Geils Band is at the Garden recording some tracks for use in its Blow Your Face Out! album.
- 1978: The Grateful Dead releases Shakedown Street.
- 1980: The Doobie Brothers are dropping in at Causeway Street.
- 1987: Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms album, which had been released two years previously, became the first album to sell over 3 million copies in England.
- 1992: Ozzy Osbourne performs what he said would be his final concert. The show turns into a Black Sabbath reunion when former Black Sabbath bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward joined him onstage. Of course, it is the last of the Ozzy retirement talk!
- 1999: Elton John threatens to cancel a concert in Winnipeg after officials spent two hours searching his plane at the airport.