Rock N’ Roll Diary: November 11
In 1986, Pink Floyd announced it was recording a new album without Roger Waters. They completed two surprisingly good albums without his writing genius in the lineup, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and what other album?
Answer: The Division Bell
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1968: From the WZLX ticket stash…Big Brother and the Holding Company featuring Janis Joplin play the Rindge Arena in Braintree.
- 1969: The Who perform Tommy at the Boston Tea Party.
- 1969: Jim Morrison and a friend are arrested in Phoenix, Ariz. for drunkenness and interfering with a plane flight after harrassing a flight attendant en route from Los Angeles to Phoeniz to see the Rolling Stones…The charges were dropped after the attendant would not serve as a witness.
- 1970: Bob Dylan releases his first book. It’s a surreal collection of prose and poetry entitled, Tarantula.
- 1972: Berry Oakley, bassist for the Allman Brothers Band, dies in Macon, Ga. when his motorcycle collides with a bus, just three blocks from the site of Duane Allman’s accident just one year earlier.
- 1972: The Kinks play the Aquarius.
- 1986: Pink Floyd announce that they are in the studio recording their first album without Roger Waters. The resulting work, A Momentary Lapse of Reason featuring centerpiece ballad “On the Turning Away,” would be released a year later to huge success.