On this day in 1973, Bob Dylan’s “Knocking on heaven’s Door” was released on the film soundtrack “Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.” Who played guitar on the track?
Answer: Roger McGuinn
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1973: Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” was released on the film soundtrack “Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid”.
- 1972: The Rolling Stones sued their former manager Allen Klein for “falsely representing the group with intent to deceive.” The band’s lawyers asked for $7.5 million in damages.
- 1983: The Clash’s Mick Jones was asked to leave the group. Joe Strummer and the others felt that Jones had drifted away from the original concept of the band. The guitarist soon surfaced as the leader of Big Audio Dynamite.
- 1988: The Tour to Benefit Amnesty International’s Human Rights Now! campaign began at London’s Wembley Stadium. Performers included Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel and Sting.
- 1998: David Bowie opened his own on-line internet service provider business, bowie.net.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1971: Procol Harum played the Boston Common.
- 1973: Here’s a weird one: Uriah Heep, ZZ Top and Earth Wind and Fire(!) played Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 1974: Aerosmith played the Coliseum.
- 1976: It was The Band at Boston University.