Happy birthday to Michael Anthony, former bassist of Van Halen. He occasionally performs with Sammy Hagar, doing Van Halen material in a band named what?
Answer: The Other Half
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for June 20:
Happy birthday to Michael Anthony, bassist of Van Halen!
- 1969: David Bowie signed with Mercury Records, the label that first released his “Space Oddity” single. It was not a success until re-released two years later by his next label, RCA.
- 1986: The Prince’s Trust concert, which raised money for underprivileged teens, was held at Wembley Arena in London. The show featured Dire Straits, Phil Collins, Paul McCartney, Rod Stewart, Elton John and others.
- 1987: Boston headlined the 10th annual Texas World Music Festival in front of 81,000 fans at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Aerosmith played on the bill as well and it marked the first time the two Boston bands ever played a show together.
- 1996: The Further Festival kicked off in Atlanta. It was the first time that members of the Grateful Dead performed together after the death of Jerry Garcia.
- 2004: Paul McCartney played his first concert in St. Petersburg, Russia, which was also estimated to have been his 3000th live show.
- 2006: The BBC announced it was canceling the TV series “Top of the Pops” after 42-year run. The Rolling Stones appeared on the series’ first episode, and over the decades the show featured countless stars including the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and David Bowie.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1984: Aerosmith rocked the Capitol Theater in Concord, NH.
- 1996: It was Styx and Kansas at Great Woods.