Phil Collins received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on this day in 1999; this after a long career with Genesis and as a solo star. In 1981 he released his first U.S. single. What was it?
Answer: I Missed Again
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for June 16:
- 1967: The 3-day Monterrey Pop Festival began. Some of the featured acts turning in historic performances were Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, the Who, Canned Heat and the Grateful Dead.
- 1982: James Honeyman-Scott, lead guitarist for the Pretenders, died at a friend’s house apartment in London after a benefit concert performance. He was only 25 years old and passed away from deterioration brought on from sustained heroin and cocaine addiction.
- 1982: .38 special singer Donny van Zandt was arrested on stage after a concert in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for public drinking in a dry town.
- 1987: Lawyers for Jerry Garcia and Ben & Jerry’s ice cream worked out a deal to market a new flavor of ice cream called cherry Garcia.
- 1999: Phil Collins received a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.
- 2005: Joe Perry of Aerosmith offered a solo performance during a halftime of the NBA Finals game four in Detroit. He played the song “Shakin’ My Cage” from his self-titled solo album.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1970: Procol Harum played the Boston Tea Party.
- 1979: Journey was at the Orpheum with Sweet.
- 1999: The original Black Sabbath reunion tour reached the Tweeter Center.