On this day in 1997 Neil Young had to cancel a European tour because he sliced his finger open while cutting a sandwich in half. What kind of sandwich?
Answer: Ham. Young said he’d have eaten it whole if he knew he’d blow a tour by trying to cut it in half.
And here’s the rest of today’s Rock ‘N Roll Diary with Carter Alan!
- In 1971 three dozen Grateful Dead fans were treated for hallucinations caused by LSD they had unwittingly ingested when the drug was used to spike an apple drink served at a concert in San Francisco. Although members of The Dead were suspected of supplying the drug, they were not accused.
- Carl Radle, best-known as the bass player for Derek and The Dominos died of a chronic kidney problem in 1980. He was 37 years old.
- In 1987 David Bowie kicked off his 87-date “Glass Spider Tour” with a stadium show in Holland.
- In 1997 Neil Young was forced to cancel a European tour after deeply cutting his index finger while slicing a sandwich. His doctors told him he wouldn’t be able to play the guitar while the wound was healing.
- And in 2002 Ozzy sued Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath for back-payment of royalties. Obviously, they worked that out!
- Checking the WZLX ticket stash Van Morrison played the Boston Tea Party for the first of three nights in 1968 and in ’79 Lou Reed performed at the Paradise.