U2 opened a two-night stand at the Orpheum on this evening in 1983. How many times had they played Boston previously?
Answer: 4 times. The Paradise in 1980 and early ’81, Metro in Spring 1981 and the Orpheum in the Fall of 1981. They skipped around Boston in 1982.
And here’s the rest of today’s Rock ‘N Roll Diary with Carter Alan!
- Happy Cinco de Mayo! On this day in 1965 The Warlocks, forerunners of The Grateful Dead, performed for the first time, at Magoos Pizza Parlor in Menlo Park, CA.
- Buffalo Springfield disbanded in 1968 because of internal conflicts – Stephen Stills and later Neil Young left and joined forces with David Crosby and Graham Nash while Jim Messina joined Poco.
- The Pretenders lead singer Chrissie Hynde married singer Jim Kerr of Simple Minds in 1984 in New York’s Central Park. The wedding took place shortly after Hynde gave birth to her daughter Natalie, who was fathered by Ray Davies of The Kinks. Kerr and Hynde had their own daughter Jasmine, but split a short time after.
- And in 1990 Jason Bonham, son of Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, married his childhood sweetheart – at the reception, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones joined Bonham in a 5 song set.
- In the WZLX ticket stash Van Morrison was at the Cambridge Electric Ballroom in 1968, The Grateful Dead played Dupont Gym at M.I.T in 1970, Stephen Stills performed at the Garden in 1972 and in 1980 Cheap Trick was there as well. Finally, in 1983 U2 opened a two-night stay at the Orpheum.